Thursday 2 August 2012

Book Review: Deadly Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

Title: Deadly Hemlock (Hemlock #1)
Author: Kathleen Peacock
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 404
Release Date: 5th July 2012
Read In: July 2012

Goodreads - Amazon.co.uk/.com - Book Depository

Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.
Since then, Mac’s life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac’s hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy’s killer: A white werewolf.
Lupine syndrome—also known as the werewolf virus—is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.
Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy’s murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy’s boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.
Kathleen Peacock’s thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spellbinding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love.
What made this novel so entertaining? Well it had mystery and suspense. My favourite books are always the ones that do not tell me everything at the beginning and therefore keep me guessing. The downside to the mystery, it is very hard to talk about anything in a non-spoiler review.

‘It was our fault Amy was dead. All of our faults. The best friend who had bailed; the boyfriend who had been running late; the guy who hadn’t answered his phone. Six days ago, a werewolf had killed Amy and we were each to blame. ‘

There were so many unanswered questions. I felt sorry for Mac most of the time. There was so much being kept from her, and I wanted to know it all. Who is Amy’s murderer? It was not as simple as originally seen. It was a case of everyone seems to know something that the main character doesn’t. I’m surprised Mac doesn’t come out of this not trusting anybody. It was played just right. Feed me snippets of information to keep me interested but not too much so that I lose interest.

This is a very unique take on werewolves. But I can’t say what it is. We are not told all about it all at once. I would not want to spoil you in a review. The Lupine Syndrome is what drew me in. What exactly does it entail? What made it more interesting was the fact that none of the main characters seemed to be aware what it entails either. All the facts seem a little hazy; is being a werewolf a bad thing?

Jason was a mystery throughout the entirety of the book. Things were happening to him but you were never sure what really was going on behind the scenes. He also made so many mistakes. I wouldn’t be too surprised if most people think he is a bit of a prick, and to be honest he was. But I didn’t hate him. In fact I felt sorry for him. He gets my sympathy vote.

Oh Kyle how I love you. It didn’t take me long to fall for him. He is so selfless; selfless and sweet. I love friends turned lovers. Mac and Kyle are great together. Throughout the course of the book Kyle needed Mac to be there for him. Kyle needed Mac’s understanding. Normally it is the other way round.

Branson Derby is one of those antagonists who are not open about their attentions; the sinister kind that creeps around in the shadows manipulating events and people. He is scary. As are his Tracker’s. They generated the right sense of nervousness in you that you don’t trust them but not enough to question why they are there. I thought it was very well done.

There is a magic salad bowl in the first chapter. Watch out for it.

It is quite hard to talk about the parts you love without giving anything away; especially in a book like this. So go and find out for yourself. Deadly Hemlock has mystery, intrigue, twists, good romance, and unique paranormal elements. What more could you want?



 Becky

1 comment:

  1. It sounds just slightly chilling... perfect for hot summer weather :) And magic salad bowl? I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment that I receive. Thank you :D