Thursday 16 August 2012

The Mortal Instruments Movie: Cast #1


Being a book lover there is one thing that occurs that can leave me completely drawn; movie adaptations. When it comes to a book series that I love, I become even more nervous. Normally I just let the producers get on with it, watch the trailers, go and watch the movie and pray it is not awful. That is what I did with The Hunger Games movies. I watched the trailers, thought it looked good, hoodwinked/talked to a couple of friends into seeing it with me and it turned out to do the books justice; in my opinion anyway. The next of my favourite series to be adapted is The Mortal Instruments. I’m taking a bit of a gamble with this one. Unlike Susanne Collins, in which The Hunger Games trilogy had ended, Cassandra Clare’s series are still continuing. Following her Tumblr means you are going to inevitably come across movie information. So I am going to follow this one closely; cast, behind-the-scenes, premiere (if it comes to London), the works. And pray it is not awful. That’s not going to change. 

So I thought I would share my thoughts. Especially with filming starting in four days.
 
Here is my initial reactions to the casting.

Lily Collins (Clary Fray)
This was the first member of the cast signed on. Of course it is Clary. My reaction, she looks like Clary. I have not really heard of her before then so I did not know what she is like in other movies. Since then I have only seen her in Mirror, Mirror. The whole movie was bad in my opinion and the style did not allow her to show off her acting ability. It was a bit like a Disney show in my opinion. I still have hope. I would like to see her acting in a proper movie. 
 
Jamie Campbell Bower (Jace Wayland)
Unlike Lily, I have already heard of Jamie. I really liked him in Sweeney Todd and I cannot wait to see how he portrays Jace. I felt like one of the few that accepted Jamie from the beginning. Many people were disappointed that is wasn’t Alex Pettyfer. The problems of dream casting. Anyway I think Jamie is just as capable to take the part as Alex and I am looking forward to it.

Robert Sheehan (Simon Lewis)
This was the first casting where I properly squealed. When I found out the news I couldn’t stop smiling for ten minutes. First because of shock, Robert was the last person I would have thought of for the role and second, because he is an amazing actor. I love Misfits! It is one of my favourite TV shows. And he is absolutely fantastic as Nathan. What makes this even more exciting is the character of Nathan is the complete opposite of Simon in terms of personality. I can’t wait to see what he does. Robert, you are the one I have my eye on the most.
 
Jemima West (Isabelle Lightwood)
There wasn’t really a strong reaction to this casting as I had never heard of her before. Next I had to picture her with black hair; she definitely looks the part. I am always open to new actors coming in so I am looking forward to seeing how she turns out. 
 
Kevin Zegers (Alec Lightwood)
This casting decision was a torturous wait. After almost finding out who was going to play Alec and then not, it felt like a long wait. When it was announced who it was, loads of other people seemed interested and I was like ‘who?’ I don’t watch Gossip Girl. Again I am hoping for good things. Alec is after all one half of my favourite couple in the series. 
 
Godfrey Gao (Magnus Bane)
As for the other half of my favourite couple all I can say is he looks the part. With actors you haven't seen before then there is not much you can think really. I have had a bit of a fan girl moment and put him next to Kevin. I can’t wait to see him in costume.
 
Lena Headey (Jocelyn Fray)
OMG! It is Lena Headey. Now unlike other actors I have seen her in a fair number of things; St Trinians, 300 and my favourite Game of Thrones. Game of Thrones is another one of my favourite television shows and Lena is amazing as Cersei. We already know she can do the doting mother. Just now she has to do it without all the back stabbing. And her child is not a complete prick.

Aiden Turner (Luke Garroway)
This was the other actor who made me squeal. Again I have heard of him and seem him in many things. Well when I say ‘many things’ I mean Being Human, but it is three series of Being Human. He is amazing. And of course he is going to be Kili in the upcoming Hobbit movie. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is my most anticipated movie of the year. Come on December. Anyway, my second reaction was he doesn’t look anything like Luke. Of course I meant the Luke in my head. I am not complaining, I think he will be amazing. But he is definitely the actor who is most removed in terms of looks in my opinion. 

Jonathan Rhys Meyers (Valentine Morgenstern)
My first reaction is he is too young. I always saw Valentine as older. In Jonathan's defence of the role he is 35. But he doesn’t look it. Well I don’t think he does. He looks younger. Again this is something I will have to get over. He is a great actor and I think he will be great as Valentine. Apart from age, he definitely looks the part. I have only seen him in Bend It Like Beckham. He was definitely young in that. Maybe I should catch up on The Tudors. 




 I know this isn't all of the members of the cast but it is the main characters. 

Who else is looking forward/dreading the City of Bones movie?
Becky
I do not own any of the photographs.

6 comments:

  1. Overall, I think it will be a great cast. I'm not at all a fan of Jamie but am trying to keep an open mind, maybe he'll surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really nervous for this movie because I'm worried that its going to be really different from the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my fears also. My main one is if the movie turns out to be rubbish. If it is rubbish people will think the books are rubbish too. :(

      Delete
  3. I pictured Valentine older, too, but after seeing Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry VIII in The Tudors, I think he'll pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited about seeing hpw they will bring this to the big screen. I love book to movie post and I really like how you gave us your thoughts on each cast member. Great post, Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping this movie won't be an insane dud. I've only seen Lily Collins in Mirror, Mirror too, and that movie was just all sorts of crazy. But I think when it comes to the action and fearlessness of Clary, she'll definitely be able to pull it off. I definitely saw Valentine as an older character too, but in the last season of The Tudors, they kind of go through Henry's life at breakneck speed and age Jonathan Rhys Meyers quite a bit, so I think he'll be okay with pulling it off. Plus you can totally see why Jocelyn would fall in love with a Valentine that looks like that....

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment that I receive. Thank you :D