Sunday 6 May 2012

Book Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Mira Ink/ Harlequin Teen
Pages: 485
Release Date: 24th April 2012
Read in: April 2012

Goodreads - Amazon.co.uk/.com - Book Depository

In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.
Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.
Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.
Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.
But it isn’t easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.
After reading Julie Kagawa’s first book in her Iron Fey series, I wasn’t that impressed. The Iron King was getting many amazing reviews but it wasn’t for me. Then I heard about her new series, a dystopic vampire tale. Again absolutely amazing reviews, rarely one under 4 stars. So I gave her the benefit of the doubt that it was her first novel. I decided to give her another go. And I am glad I did. I was sucked in straight away. Already, I could tell, that this book was going to be better.

“The stranger, the vampire, still knelt beside me, waiting for my answer. I looked up into his dark eyes and made my decision.
“I want … to live.””


I was completely thrown into Allison’s world. Normally paranormal novels are not about the vampires ruling the world but being a secret race hidden from humans. I wanted to know more about how this world works. It was interesting, especially when Allison discovered more herself.

The beginning and the climax were the best parts. The action was engaging and I couldn’t stop reading. Unfortunately it did get a little slow in the middle; one of the reasons this book did not get a higher rating. However I was glad that it was longer than The Iron King. My main problem with The Iron King was that it felt too rushed. Even though The Immortal Rules slowed up in the middle, it gave us enough time to know the characters and enable the reader to understand them.

I liked Allie as a character. I could understand her. I didn’t love her but I didn’t hate her either. I am hoping to see more of her grow in the next book.

At first I didn’t know what to make of Zeke. I didn’t see anything special about him. However as the book progressed we found out more about his upbringing and the burdens he has to bare. Despite what he has been through, he is one of those guys that cares and trusts everyone; not just Allie. I started to slowly fall in love with him. Can’t wait to see more Zeke.

I liked the connection that Allie starts to build with Kanin, her vampire creator. It wasn’t perfect but it seems to work. Especially after the climax, I want their relationship to grow and for us to find out more about him.

I would have liked for there to be a bit more discovery in the story. We got told a lot of things at the beginning and after that Allie seemed to know a lot. Kanin taught her everything about the vampire society but we only got to know things that seemed relevant. I wanted to know more; especially from a first person point of view. I don’t always like it when the characters learn more information that is never revealed.

Descriptions were a little bit lacking as well. Maybe I just accidently skimmed that part but I never had a clear image in my head about what the main characters looked like. Especially Kanin. He is completely conjured in my imagination but I don’t know what he is like in Julie’s. He has dark eyes. That’s all I got. (Please tell me if I just missed the sentence.)

Overall I enjoyed it and I’m looking forward for the next book to come out. Might even decide to give The Iron Fey series another go, if I get time, now that I know it isn't Julie Kagawa's books that I didn’t like, just the one book.



Becky

3 comments:

  1. Nice review! I was very tempted to buy this the other day, but in the end my wallet convinced me that I need to wait a while. :-) I also thought that some parts of The Iron King were a bit rushed, but overall I really liked that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling about money. So many books that I want to buy and read have been put on hold because of it.

      Delete
  2. The Immortal Rules kept me fully engrossed from page one. I became attached to almost all of the characters, and desperately hoped that their search for Eden wasn't an act of futility. I loved watching Allison grow and learn to accept her new life as a vampire, and I'm excited to see what happens in the next instalment!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment that I receive. Thank you :D