Monday 28 May 2012

Book Review: Intangible by J.Meyers

Title: Intangible (Intangible #1)
Author: J.Meyers
Publisher: J.Meyers
Pages: 318
Release Date: 31st Janruary 2012
Read in: May 2012

 
*Thanks to J.Meyers for the review copy*
Twins Sera and Luke Raine have a well-kept secret—she heals with a touch of her hand, he sees the future. All their lives they’ve helped those in need on the sly. They’ve always thought of their abilities as being a gift.
Then Luke has a vision that Sera is killed. That gift they’ve always cherished begins to feel an awful lot like a curse. Because the thing about Luke’s ability? He’s always right. And he can’t do anything about it.

This book was a decent enough read and it had the potential. Unfortunately, it lacked in areas to make it a stand out amazing book.

“”Shall she be the first to die, Seer?”
Luke head whipped up and he froze with the realization – the woman, the voice, she was addressing him directly. That had never happened before.
She spoke again, a taunt. “Yes, I think so. Her healing makes her the more dangerous.”
No. A chill tingled u hi neck, settled on his scalp. Not his sister. This one couldn’t be about Sera.”

What I found surprising about this book was that it was not just about Sera and Luke. No, we got introduced to many others and followed their stories. Each character had a different personality. There were no characters that I didn’t like. There is usually at least one in a book. 

While I liked all of the characters, my favourite had to be Marc. I have a soft spot for tragic characters. While Marc isn’t the most tragic I have seen, he is still a guy finding himself in a bad situation and is trying to get out of it. I was drawn to him straight away and I was just willing for things to be alright for him.

The mythology is a lot more rounded than the synopsis made out to be as well. Not only do we have gifted humans but also faeries and vampires. I was really interested to see how all these different societies interacted with one another. While I really enjoyed the idea, I don’t think each group was fully developed and it left me with a lot more questions. I don’t know how intentional that was, if more was going to be revealed in later novels, but I guess I would of liked a bit more in this book. Especially the vampire hierarchy; I always like a good hierarchy in paranormal novels. 

The plot was interesting, definitely generating the correct number of questions to keep me reading; wanting to find out what happens next. I mainly wanted to find out how each of the characters ended up being so heavily involved around these prophesied twins. I was also interested to know what the prophecy was and how that came to be. The climax was well done, with a good amount of tension; had me on the edge of my seat there. 

Unfortunately, the overall story was a little slow. It took a while for the plot to warm up. While I like jumping back and forth between points of view, if it is at detriment to the pace then it is better without. The pace picked up after halfway which kept me reading until the end but that doesn’t change the fact about the first half. 

The characters were what I liked the most. Unfortunately the pacing and lack of development, in plot and mythology, brought this book down for me. 


 
Becky

1 comment:

  1. I was surprised by how much more the story emcompassed, too. And Marc was my favorite character, as well.

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment that I receive. Thank you :D