Thursday 12 April 2012

Announcement from Little Brown book group

As you may, or not be aware, J.K Rowling is releasing a new book near the end of the year. Little Brown book group has just revealed the Title, a summary and a release date.

Title: The Casual Vacancy
Author: J.K. Rowling
Publisher: Little Brown
Release date: 27th September 2012

When Barry Fairweather dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock. Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war. Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils...Pagford is not what it first seems. And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations? Blackly comic, thought-provoking and constantly surprising, The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling’s first novel for adults.

I owe so much to J.K. Rowling. Harry Potter was the first book series that I read and fell in love with. It almost single handily triggered my whole obsession with books and an interest in reading since I was 8. That was 11 years ago.

However, when she announced a new book, I didn’t immediately jump on it. I’m not one of those people that will read a book solely because of the author. There are a few authors of whom I have read all their books (Richelle Mead and Cassandra Clare for example). However, this is because their other series’ fell into genres that I normally read.

On reading the blurb for The Casual Vacancy, I’m still none the wiser about what it will be like. If if has fantasy elements to it, like Harry Potter, then I would obviously go for it. We all know Joe can write fantasy. However if the book is as straight forward as the blurb then to me, it seems to fall into general adult fiction; adults based in this world doing adult stuff. I’m not really into that. The adult fiction I read is mostly paranormal and fantasy. 

Then again I may be completely wrong. I don’t know. I’m still waiting for the genre to make my final decision about it. It has to go on a shelf in bookshops after all. 

Also they announced that the RRP is £20 for a hardback. That is a lot of money for a book!

The announcement can be found at http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/TheCasualVacancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every comment that I receive. Thank you :D